Powered By Blogger

Welcome

Soap making is a fun and exciting hobby, full of trial and tribulations! When you create soap you are creating art, each one is different, never the same. An addicting hobby.... once you get started all you think about is what kind of soap to make next. This blog is about my soaping experience please enjoy!



Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Surgery and Carpal Tunnel

I have been suffering from carpal tunnel syndrome for quite a few months now.  Every night like clockwork, I've been woken up to ecruitiating pain and numbness in my right hand.  It took a coup,e of hours for that pain to subside and leave me deprived of sleep.  I'd be up at 2 am and just up.  Awful.  There were times at the end of this ordeal that my fingers were blue. I've never felt such pain ever in my life. The decision was made after getting tested for carpal tunnel to have the release surgery on my right hand, leaving me off work and not able able to lift or do much.  It's amazing the difference I've felt since my surgery.  I can sleep! The other thing has been not being able to make soap.  I did three batches before my surgery and am itching to get at it. I have been infusing olive oil all winter with rosemary, lavender, lemon thyme, from my garden last summer, so I am going to use that today and make an organic soap.  I've been so bored I ended up going to the local thrift shop and lucky me found two silicone bread loaf molds with a wavy bottom and 3$ each! Lucky lucky find.  I've washed them and I can't wait to use them.  I want an organic, all natural bar with this soap and want it to be green.  With summer fly and tick season I am also thinking of eucalyptus essential oil as I have heard that repels ticks.  I want to say thank you to my followers, and passers by of my blog, for stopping and reading and hopefully enjoying my soaping adventures.  Come back for more! When I do the photos I'll add them to this post, so come back and check often to see what new in our little soap kitchen. 
All bandaged up.  This was the same day of my carpal tunnel release surgery.  I can't believe that I was in and out of the operating room in ten minutes.  The worst part was waiting in the reception room, that was an hour. Then the waiting in the bed and getting prepped for surgery.  That was an hour.  The nurses gave me one of those hot blankets that come out of the dryers, or whatever they use, I love those hot blankets, and falling asleep.  I was at the hospital at 8 am in the prep at 10, surgery was 11 am out of surgery by 11:15 am dressed at 11:30 and a good cup of coffee and biscuits.  My husband was there to pick me at at 11:45 and was home by noon. The nurses and staff at the regional hospital here in Thunder Bay were very accommodating, friendly and funny.  The most painful was the tourniquet they wrapped around my arm to stop the blood flow and the needles to locally freeze my hand.  It felt like a million needles getting stuck into me.  The doc says "do you feel anything sharp?" I says "no" as soon as I said that he just started cutting, pushing shoving something into my hand then I felt him sewing it. Done.  So fast.  My fingers are still kind of numb when I do things.  I walked the dog this morning and my fingers were numb.  This kind of surgery is not guaranteed but so far it's been an improvement.  Ok, off to soap. As promised here arête soap photos I did make another blog about the making of it so go check tat out too, Thanks once again for checking in. 
Beautiful hey!

1 comment:

  1. I hope your hand is healing up! That looks like a painful surgery. On a side note, it's so cool that you make your own soap! That is something I have always wanted to try. Hopefully you are back to being able to do all the things you could before you experienced carpal tunnel.

    ReplyDelete