Powered By Blogger

Welcome

Soap making is a fun and exciting hobby, full of trial and tribulations! When you create soap you are creating art, each one is different, never the same. An addicting hobby.... once you get started all you think about is what kind of soap to make next. This blog is about my soaping experience please enjoy!



Monday, May 24, 2010

Johnny's "Lady Bug" Soap







My husband John. He has been supportive of my new hobby. I have been keeping the kitchen in a bit of a mess last few months. But he wants me to be successful. He came up with an idea of making a "Lady Bug" Soap and I ran with it. I came up with an idea of Black Raspberry Fragrance Oil, colour the bar red and add poppy seeds to visualize the ladybug concept. Well did it turn out nice. Again using my bible (Sandy Maine's The Soap Book) I came up with the recipe. I added a few other ingredients and of course used the soapcalc for proper measure here is the finished bar. Smells soooo gooood!!
Looks real good too!
I am very pleased with this batch. Here you can see the finished bar. I will give you the recipe.
3.0 oz Castor Oil
5.8 oz Palm Oil
6.0 Oz French Roasted Hazelnut Oil
32.5 oz Crisco (w/palm)
24.0 oz Coconut Oil (76 degree)
24.0 oz Olive Oil
4 tsp Moraccan Red Clay
4 oz Black Raspberry Fragrance Oil
1 bag Poppy Seeds
36.214 oz distilled water
13.456 oz Sodium Hydroxide (lye)
yield 6 lbs of soap (5.96 to be exact)

I had left over ingredients from a coffee soap I made so I decided to use them up in this batch. The soap turned out amazing!
2 days before mix your clay with your oil, I used the hazelnut oil to blend with the clay, but again you can choose your EO.
As with the Eucalyptus Soap the method is the same for this recipe.

Melt the hard oils first on the stove then mix the liquid ones after the hard oils liquify. Mix your water and lye. Let the two cool to 110 degrees. Then mix together
Take a cup of soap at trace and mix into the red clay, I thoroughly mixed it into the soap mix as I wanted the soap to be solid red. Add your frangrance oil and poppy seeds pour into molds let it sit 36 hours unmold and cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment