Powered By Blogger

Welcome

Soap making is a fun and exciting hobby, full of trial and tribulations! When you create soap you are creating art, each one is different, never the same. An addicting hobby.... once you get started all you think about is what kind of soap to make next. This blog is about my soaping experience please enjoy!



Thursday, January 8, 2015

Coffee Filters equals Wreath


This has nothing to do with soap.  I have been loving the coffee filter tutorials on YouTube and thought I'd give one a try.  I purchased pink petal Rit dye and with the perfect size bucket that fits coffee filters (I keep all my buckets if they are a good size), (this bucket held shea butter at one time), mixed it and dunked coffee filters in to colour them up.  I did a handful at a time.  By the end I had no dye left the filters just soaked it up.  The last bits were more pale so I stuck them under the stacks of darker ones and poured the rest of the dye to sink in.  There wasn't much left in the bucket.  This is 500 filters I bought cheap no name ones.  Cost 3.99 for dye and 2.50 pk for filters.  I bought a small cheap straw wreath micheals crafts for 4$ and already have glue sticks so far cost 12$ add tax $15.  This is going to be a Valentines Wreath.  Love to hang wreaths on the door. But never wanted to buy them too expensive. It's fun making your own at half the cost.  Fun! 
Pretty in Pink. Loved that movie. :) 
It's a work in progress.  TIP:  it was taking forever to dry the coffee filters so I put them in the dryer.  On low heat,ten minute intervals, didn't want them getting overdone. I used the Air Fluff setting in the last round in the dryer.  When you open the dryer door don't be shocked like me !  Holy there is a mound of filters staring back at you.  Don't worry stuff them into a garbage bag and don't worry about them being scrunched up and wrinkled because that's going to add texture to your finished wreath.  Have lots of glue sticks, and turn on your tv and start gluing.  Here's a basket load.   See how they are Scrunchy, looking like rose petals already.  
Here's how I fold them 
First in half then half again 
Dab just a dab close the flap and press with thumb. Just at the tip base.  Fold and then dab glue on the back at the tip base .
  Then glue onto wreath.  I'm doing a pattern of three 
And really stick them in.  That way they are tight together.  I have been fluffing them up everytime I'm done for the time being.  Go in pull the filters apart at the folds 
They puff up and start taking shape of petals.  Sooo pretty.  I'm halfway done.  When I complete it I'll come back and show the finished wreath.  For now instead of just pinning, start doing! Ttys

No comments:

Post a Comment